Monday 27 February 2017

Cookery Challenge









I've been thinking for a long time that I'd like to use my cookery books more often. They sit forgotten on a shelf and occasionally I'll search through them looking in vain for a specific recipe. Usually I'll surf the BBC on-line recipes or merge two recipe books with ingredients or a cooking method I'm happier with. I've noticed that I'm sticking to a predictable 'same old' list on my weekly menu list such as roast and leftovers the next day, pizza, pasties and more adventurous on the other days. Since starting this blog I've stumbled across a 'Cookery Calendar Challenge' via another blogger's page. Being slightly obsessed with planning and organizing things as I am, I thought this sounded exciting, I know too sad. 

My aims in starting the challenge are to:- 


1) Try new recipes that will (hopefully) put variety back in my family meals.


2) Help me in better planning.


3) Make more use of my recipe books or add them to the clear out pile.


I'm particularly keen to do more in the 'cook today, prepare for tomorrow' idea I'd started a while ago.

How it works:
I'll choose a recipe book each month from my collection and make two recipes from it. Puddings are included in the challenge but cakes and bakes are excluded. The first week of the month I'll announce my chosen book and the following month I'll let you know how I got on trying something new.
 

My book I've chosen for March is:- The Hairy Dieters Eat For Life - Si King & Dave Myers. Although I'm not on a diet (quite the reverse, having struggled for years to put weight on- sickening I know). I love healthy eating and enjoyed watching the series that these guys did on TV. I had this book one Christmas and am ashamed to say I've never cooked a thing from it!

If you'd like to check out the original blog that I stumbled upon when I was thinking about this it's here 






QT my adorable 16 year old Maine Coon sporting his new scarf from the 'Street Cat Called Bob' set here
He usually sits on the arm of my chair when he's waiting for his biscuits (Dreamies). On the left of the photo, you should just make out my Moorland blanket. Week 2 is complete and the week three colour list is printed out and ready to go.




If you have any tips on menu planning or would like to share recipe ideas do 
feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks for reading. 











2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy, thank you so much for joining me in the Cookery Calendar Challenge. Sounds like you have the same aims for your challenge as I do! Look forward to reading about your dishes. I like the Hairy Bikers too, they are full of fun, and their recipes always look delicious X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, thank you for replying and for developing the Cookery Calendar Challenge. It's been good looking at my cookery books and deciding which recipes to use x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...